Blending mushrooms with chocolates has a long history. It dates back to thousands of years when the Aztecs prepared magic brews using psilocybin and cacao. They referred to it as “god of mushroom.”
There are numerous benefits of blending mushrooms with chocolates. The most important one is that mushrooms have a taste that may be unappealing to many consumers, but it becomes more palatable when blended with chocolate.
Chocolate also has an impressive array of health benefits. It has a high nutritional value composed of healthy fats, fiber, and essential minerals. It also boosts the brain’s ability to produce serotonin.
Read on to discover the ingredients and a recipe for making delectable magic mushroom chocolate. But first, let’s dive into what magic mushroom chocolate is.
What Is Mushroom Chocolate?
Magic mushrooms, also known as mushies, are cultivated mushrooms. They contain a psychoactive and hallucinogenic component known as psilocybin. The compound was first identified and isolated in 1958 by a Swiss chemist, Dr. Albert Hofmann.
Magic mushrooms have long and thin stems with a whitish-gray appearance. Their caps are dark brown and have a rust color when dried. You can consume them by eating, incorporating them into food, or brewing them with tea for drinking.
Mushroom chocolate bars make it easier to consume the shrooms. They improve the taste, which has resulted in the emergence of thousands of mushroom chocolate recipes. Though consuming shrooms with chocolate is appealing, there are numerous side effects associated with excessive consumption of mushroom chocolate. These include drowsiness, headaches, dilated pupils, muscle weakness, and increased blood pressure, among others, so when you do consume this delicacy, make sure you don’t take too much.
On the bright side, some ancient perceptions claim that magic mushroom chocolate is effective in spiritual experiences, awakenings, and self-discovery.
Ingredients for Making Magic Mushroom Chocolate
The key ingredients in a magic mushroom recipe are powdered or chopped mushrooms and chocolate. Any other additive incorporated in the blend entirely depends on your preference. Some recommendations claim that flavorings should be oil-based and heated separately. This is because a cool additive can cause your mixture to be clumpy. The amount you make relies on the amount of shroom and chocolate you have. Below is a list of what’s required:
- Magic mushrooms: They should be dried. This makes them easier to chop or grind.
- Chocolate: It can be in bars, chips, or any other available form.
- A sharp knife or grinder: Which one you pick depends on whether you want to chop your shrooms or crush them into fine powder.
- A large saucepan
- 2 tbsp crushed toffee (optional)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- Non-stick baking sheets
You should also have a weighing scale. It’s imperative in making accurate measurements. The ideal dosage for a beginner is 1 gram of dried mushroom. However, you can decrease or increase the amount, depending on your psychedelic experience. Some seasoned consumers can go up to 3 to 5 grams.
You can also use a mushroom calculator to determine the proper mushroom dosage relevant to the potency and level of trip you want. The calculator will use your weight to work out the recommended dosage.
Your mushrooms should be completely dry. This is because even the slightest moisture can distort your preparation. Follow these steps:
- Cut the mushrooms into easily manageable pieces. You can also grind them into a fine powder using a grinder. If so, ensure that they’re evenly ground.
- Pour your chocolate into a glass bowl. If you’re using chocolate chips, pour half the bag into the bowl. And if you’re using a chocolate bar, break it into small pieces. Use whatever amount you desire.
- Place the bowl containing chocolate in boiling water. Preferably, you can place it in a saucepan with half-filled water. This will melt the chocolate in the bowl. The chocolate should not get wet. You can also use a microwave to melt the chocolate. However, there is a risk of burning the core ingredient.
- After melting the chocolate, remove the bowl from the pan and allow it to cool. This should take about a minute. You should monitor the cooling process to prevent the hardening of the chocolate.
- Make sure that the chocolate has cooled, then mix it with the mushrooms and stir them together. Ensure that you have a smooth mixture by distributing the mushroom evenly throughout the chocolate. In case there are clumps, break them to achieve a smooth mixture. At this point, you can add the crushed coconut and toffee or any other ingredient of your choice.
- Pour the mushroom-baked chocolate onto the baking sheet. You can also use molds or small paper cups.
- Cool the chocolate by placing it in a refrigerator. Alternatively, you can place it in a pan with ice-cold water. Your mixture is correctly set when it’s completely solid. Then you can enjoy it!
Mushroom chocolate’s effects are the same as those you get when you take shrooms on their own. They kick in about 20 to 40 minutes after ingestion. However, some mushroom varieties may take longer to kick in. This may take 45 minutes to one hour.
Additionally, the length of a trip on mushroom chocolates entirely depends on the variety of psilocybin and ingested amounts. A gram of mushroom can stimulate effects for up to 3 hours. Hence, when purchasing mushroom chocolate bars instead of making them, you should find out their content and potency first.
The Bottom Line
Mushroom chocolates are a great way to spice up your magic mushroom consumption. It makes them more palatable and adds to their nutritional value. The good news is that you can make this delicacy in the comfort of your home. This gives you the liberty to use additives of your choice to spice up your shroom chocolate mixture.
However, you should note that most countries around the world do not permit such preparations. They are illegal and technically deemed as Schedule I drugs. This may result in an arrest. Furthermore, excessive consumption of magic mushroom chocolates may cause adverse effects. Thus, you should take them in controlled doses.